Discussion of Colloid cyst
- Colloid cysts occur in the anterior portion of the third ventricle near the foramen of Monro.
- Patients may present with positional headaches or hydrocephalus.
- Sudden death secondary to acute hydrocephalus can occur
- Treatment options:
- Biventricular shunting
- Cyst resection
- Endoscopic coagulation
 Imaging Findings for Colloid cyst
- Hyperdense mass in the anterior third ventricle
- Hyperdensity is due to high protein concentration
- Cyst rim may faintly enhance
- T1: High T1 signal in 50% of cases
- T2: The higher the protein concentration, the lower the signal intensity.
Patient #1 :MR images demonstrate a colloid cyst