Modic endplate changes
 Discussion of Modic endplate changes
- Classification scheme for signal intensity changes in the bone marrow adjacent to the vertebral endplates in degenerative spine disease.
 Classification of Modic endplate changes
- Type 1 changes:
- Increased marrow signal intensity in T2-weighted MR images and decreased signal intensity in T1-weighted MR images.
- Fibrovascular tissue in endplates
- Type 2 changes:
- Increased signal intensity in T1- and T2-weighted MR images.
- Lipid in endplates
- Type 3 changes:
- Decreased signal intensity in T1 -and T2-weighted MR images.
- Endplate sclerosis
|Modic Change||T1 Signal||T2 Signal|
Type 2 changes at C6-C7
 References for Modic endplate changes
- Gebhard Schmid, Andreas Witteler, Roland Willburger, Cornelius Kuhnen, Michael Jergas, and Odo Koester. Lumbar Disk Herniation: Correlation of Histologic Findings with Marrow Signal Intensity Changes in Vertebral Endplates at MR Imaging. Radiology 2004 231: 352-358