Rugger jersey spine sign
- Almost diagnostic of the osteosclerosis associated with secondary hyperparathyroidism of chronic renal failure
- Alternating parallel sclerotic and lucent bands are analogous to the stripes on an English rugby sweater.
- Opaque sclerotic bands are seen on the inferior and superior endplates of vertebral bodies and represent accumulations of excess osteoid.
 Differential Diagnosis
- Bone in bone appearance seen with osteopetrosis.
- Picture from vertebral body seen with Paget disease.
 Imaging Findings
- As above... opaque sclerotic bands are seen on the inferior and superior endplates of vertebral bodies
 External Links
- Aaron Wittenberg. The Rugger Jersey Spine Sign. Radiology 2004 230: 491-492.